FACT: You are using products on your face and your body daily that likely contain carcinogens and hormone disrupting chemicals, which are increasing your risk for breast cancer, and other serious diseases and complications!
How can I be so sure?
Because I was and I didn't have a clue.
6 years ago, I received an email from a complete stranger...the temptation was to hit delete and not give it another thought, you'd probably do the same, right?
But, there was something in this email that triggered my curiosity...it was loaded with statistics...
The last time a major law was passed governing the personal care industry was 1938!
This law, that covers a multi billion dollar industry, is just 1.5 pages long!
Now, I didn't know at the time if there was truth to this, but, as a health coach who knew a lot about toxins in our foods...my interest was piqued.
We set up a time to meet and as we chatted, and I learned more...
More than 80% of the personal care products on our shelves have NEVER been tested for safety.
I found myself becoming angry. Not something I feel frequently, but I truly hate the feeling of being taken advantage of and the wool being pulled over my eyes.
That feeling continued to elevate as I then discovered that the sunscreen I had been using, recommended by my dermatologist because I've had 3 different skin cancers...contained known CARCINOGENS.
It's this anger that fuels me to share this information with you, especially if, like me you are a breast cancer survivor or BRCA gene carrier. Even more important if your cancer is hormone receptive and you are, also like me, on estrogen blocking cancer medication. (I take Letrozole)
So, today I'd like to share the top 12 ingredients to avoid in your personal care products...don't worry, you don't need to remember them all (in fact, if your brain is anything like mine after breast cancer, I need to write EVERYTHING down LOL) I've made an easy peasy checklist for you. Simply CLICK HERE TO GRAB YOURS.
Let's dive in:
1. BHA AND BHT Synthetic antioxidants used to extend shelf life. They are likely carcinogens and hormone disruptors and may cause liver damage. Found in: lipsticks, moisturizers, diaper creams, and other cosmetics.
2. COAL TAR HAIR DYES AND OTHER COAL TAR INGREDIENTS Byproduct of coal processing that is a known carcinogen. It is used as a colorant and an anti-dandruff agent. Found in: hair dye, shampoo.
3. ETHANOLAMINES (MEA/DEA/TEA) Surfactants and pH adjuster linked to allergies, skin toxicity, hormone disruption, and inhibited fetal brain development. Found in: hair dyes, mascara, foundation, fragrances, sunscreens, dry cleaning solvents, paint, pharmaceuticals.
4. FORMALDEHYDE Used as a preservative in cosmetics. A known carcinogen that is also linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity. Present where quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, 2-bromo-2- nitropropane-1,3 diol (Bronopol), and several other preservatives are listed. Found in: shampoo, body wash, bubble bath.
5. HYDROQUINONE A skin-lightening chemical that inhibits the production of melanin and is linked to cancer, organ toxicity, and skin irritation. Found in: skin-lightening creams.
6. OXYBENZONE Sunscreen agent and ultraviolet light absorber linked to irritation, sensitization and allergies, and possible hormone disruption. Found in: sunscreen, moisturizer.
7. PARABENS (METHYL-, ISOBUTYL-, PROPYL- AND OTHERS) A class of preservatives commonly used to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold. Parabens are endocrine (or hormone) disruptors, which may alter important hormone mechanisms in our bodies. Found in: shampoo, face cleanser, body wash, body lotion, foundation.
8. PHTHALATES (DBP, DEHP, DEP AND OTHERS) A class of plasticizing chemicals used to make products more pliable or to make fragrances stick to skin. Phthalates disrupt the endocrine system and may cause birth defects. Found in: synthetic fragrance, nail polish, hairspray, and plastic materials.
9. POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL (PEG COMPOUNDS) PEGs are widely used in cosmetics as thickeners, solvents, softeners, and moisture-carriers. Depending on manufacturing processes, PEGs may be contaminated with measurable amounts of ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane, which are both carcinogens. Found in: creams, sunscreen, shampoo.
10. RETINYL PALMITATE AND RETINOL (VITAMIN A) A nutrient that may damage DNA and speed the growth of skin tumors when used topically. Found in: moisturizer, anti-aging skincare.
11. SYNTHETIC FLAVOR OR FRAGRANCE An engineered scent or flavoring agent that may contain any combination of 3,000-plus stock chemical ingredients, including hormone disruptors and allergens. Fragrance formulas are protected under federal law’s classification of trade secrets and therefore can remain undisclosed. Found in: all types of cosmetics.
12. TOLUENE A volatile petrochemical solvent that is toxic to the immune system and can cause birth defects. Found in: nail polish.
I invite you to do a little check in with yourself right now...how are you feeling? Is your heart rate elevated? Are you feeling angry? Confused? Questioning, how is this possible that these ingredients are in the products you use EVERY day, and not only on yourself, but your kiddos and your hubby too?!
Trust me, I get it!!
GRAB YOUR INVALUABLE CHECKLIST BELOW so that you can start to be more aware today.
Perhaps you're feeling so agitated that you just want to know more NOW. I'm down for that... so let's have a cup of tea and chat? SIMPLY CLICK HERE TO SET UP OUR FREE TEA TIME CHAT.