Navigating the Holidays with Ease After Breast Cancer
Welcome to another heartfelt chat with yours truly, Karin Del Maestro, to help you stay healthy throughout the holidays and not just throw in the towel on your health goals!
Today, I want to dive into a topic that hits close to home, especially for my fellow breast cancer survivors—the art of staying healthy during the holidays.
Buckle up, my friends, because we're about to embark on a journey of self-care, grace, and making the most of the festive season.
Navigating the Holiday Party Scene
So, you've been invited to a holiday party. Cue the festive music and twinkling lights! But as a breast cancer survivor, navigating social gatherings might come with a unique set of challenges. Fear not, my friend, I've got your back.
- Plan Your Plate: When you arrive at the party, take a moment to scan the food table. Opt for colorful, nutrient-rich options like veggies, fruits, and lean proteins. These choices not only fuel your body but also contribute to overall well-being.
- Be Mindful of Treats: Ah, those tempting treats! While indulging in a holiday cookie or two is absolutely fine, be mindful of your sugar intake. Too much sugar can contribute to inflammation, and we're all about minimizing that, right?
- Sip Smartly: Stay hydrated with water or herbal tea, and limit alcohol consumption. Alcohol can disrupt your sleep, potentially interfere with medications and is known to cause cancer. Moderation is the key to enjoying the festivities without compromising your health.
- Advocate for Your Comfort: If certain foods or drinks don't align with your health goals, don't hesitate to politely decline. Another great idea is to always bring a dish that fits into your health goals. Remember, it's okay to prioritize your well-being.
Need more guidance?
Embrace Less Toxic Personal Care Products for yourself and as gifts!
Now, let's chat about a topic that often flies under the radar—personal care products. Making mindful choices in this area can significantly contribute to your overall health, especially during the holidays, where you might be using more make-up, more perfume, more hair products…plus these are often gifts of choice…be mindful and make sure not to gift, known cancer causing ingredients.
- Choose Clean Beauty: Opt for personal care products that are free from harmful chemicals. Think of it as a gift to your body. The skin is our largest organ, and what we apply to it matters. Look for products with nourishing ingredients.
- Read Labels: Take a moment to read product labels. Avoid ingredients like parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrances. These chemicals can disrupt your endocrine (hormonal) system and potentially have adverse effects on your health.
- Prioritize Self-Care: Treat yourself (and others) with non-toxic personal care products. It's a beautiful way to indulge in self-care while minimizing exposure to harmful substances.
The world of clean beauty has exploded over the past 10 years, and can feel like you’re navigating a minefield. How on earth do you know what’s right for you and what isn’t…what ingredients should you actually avoid? What if I told you, I can save you that time and energy?
You see, for the past 10 years, I have been a proud consultant with Beautycounter, the OG…the leaders in the Clean Beauty Industry, and what I love is their transparency, a value that resonates deeply with me.
That being said, here are a few resources for you to shortcut that minefield…
Want to know which ingredients to avoid?
You need >> The Beautycounter Never List <<
Want to get to it and just start switching your Holiday products & gifts for safer choices?
Need guidance on products or color choices?
Shoot me an email: [email protected]
Minimizing Stress: Your Ultimate Gift to Yourself
Stress, oh how it loves to rear its head, especially during the holidays. But fear not, my resilient friends, we've got strategies to keep it in check.
- Focus on the Controllable: The holidays can bring a whirlwind of emotions. Focus on what you can control—your reactions, thoughts, and actions. This simple shift can be a game-changer.
- Prioritize Self-Care: Amidst the holiday hustle, carve out moments for yourself. Whether it's a cozy cup of tea, a brisk walk, or a few minutes of deep breathing, prioritize self-care to keep stress at bay.
- Set Realistic Expectations: It's okay to set boundaries and manage expectations. You don't have to attend every event or take on every task. Choose what aligns with your well-being and brings you joy. A question I love to ask myself is “What’s my bandwidth today?” and not judge the answer. It’s ok to say no and it’s ok to rest!
- Join Supportive Communities: Reach out to fellow survivors or join communities that understand your journey. Sharing experiences and tips can provide comfort and strength during the holiday season.
We are saving you a seat inside the Healthy Living After Breast Cancer Community…if you haven’t yet joined us CLICK HERE and become part of one of the most supportive places on the internet for breast cancer survivors!
In a nutshell, staying healthy during the holidays as a breast cancer survivor is all about mindful choices, self-love, and embracing the support around you. Remember, you are resilient, and your well-being is a precious gift.
Wishing you a joyous and health-filled holiday season!